Multithreaded I/O in the DMD compiler (DDJ article by Walter)

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Wed Apr 8 20:33:11 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> I saw another 'fix' on another forum that listed some commands to
>> rebuild the vbox. That dies with compilation errors.
>
> What happens is that the release in the apt repository lagged behind
> updates in the kernel. You may want to go to www.virtualbox.org and
> install the latest and greatest straight from there (their .deb package
> which you need to also integrate in the build proces for dmd).

Downloaded it. First, it refused to install because it conflicted with
"virtualbox-ose". So I did:

sudo apt-get purge virtualbox-ose

Tried again to install it. Now I get:

Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libqt4-core

So I tried:

sudo apt-get libqt4-core

but apt-get said it couldn't find it.

Just for fun, I now tried:

sudo apt-get install virtualbox

and apt-get replies with: "Couldn't find package virtualbox"

Evidently, my system is completely hosed now.