what are the most common bugs in your D apps?

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 10 10:04:56 PDT 2009

== Quote from davidl (davidl at 126.com)'s article
> Actually I'm not sure about what kind of bugs my d apps usually have. But
> I notice that the harmonia project(I now make it uptodate) gets the
> problem of integer overlapping(actually I find it quite hard to detect and
> fix).
> What's your opinion and experience?

I've been thinking about this, and I've come to realize that subtle high-level
logic errors are my most frustrating (if not most common) bugs.  In other words,
the bugs that really are a pain are more often bugs where I didn't mean what I
should have meant at a relatively high (algorithmic) level rather than
implementation bugs like integer overflows, null pointers, off by one errors and
other such low level bugs, where the problem was more about coding what I meant.
More specifically, things like forgetting to deal with special cases and boundary
conditions bite me very frequently and are much more annoying and difficult to
deal with than any low-level bug.  For example, just about every time I've gotten
a null pointer error, it was due to some special case that I had overlooked.

Until people invent a way to read the programmer's mind, I don't think the
language can really help much here.