Why not std.io instead of std.stdio?

Denis Koroskin 2korden at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 09:48:56 PDT 2009

Michel Fortin Wrote:

> While it seems acceptable to use "stdio" in "std.c.stdio", since we're
> wrapping the C header of the same name, I see little justification in
> repeating the "std" in the module name for "std.stdio". Why not change
> it to "std.io"?
>
> (same comment apply to other "std.std*" modules)
>
> I first noticed the strangeness of this when I was new to D, but today
> I mistakenly wrote "import std.io;", which felt more natural, is
> shorter and reads way better than "import std.stdio;", which triggered
> the question.
>
> --
> Michel Fortin
> michel.fortin at michelf.com
> http://michelf.com/

Nice question!

I also quite don't understand why Phobos doesn't take advantage of hierarchical modules structure. For example, I/O is a large cathegory and a lot of elements belongs to it. Console I/O is just one of example, but there is also network I/O, DMA etc. I believe it is much better to put each independent element in its own module (to reduce intermodular dependencies etc). For example, I put each class in a separate module.

I believe it makes analyzing source code *a lot* easier.