reddit.com: first Chapter of TDPL available for free

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Aug 4 09:34:53 PDT 2009

Michiel Helvensteijn wrote:
> "The compiler allows omitting type declarations only when types can be
> unambiguously inferred from context."
>
> That's not exactly true, is it? A small non-negative integer literal could
> be an integer of any width or signedness. Yet 'int' is arbitrarily chosen
> for some reason. There are also multiple floating point types.
>
> My points:
> * The line I quoted is incorrect. Int/float literals are not unambiguous.
> * D literals can have a suffix specifying the exact type. Perhaps that's
> worth mentioning.

Thanks for your comments, I added them to my todo list.

> I find your style of writing a bit too informal, though easy to read.

I swear I was trying to keep wit down. (I mean if I'm left to my own
devices... "The Case for D".) One very real problem I'm now experiencing
is that I need to literally write a doctoral thesis at day and a book at
night. It's often difficult to handle the swing between the required
styles. On the upside, heck, I think the dissertation will turn out to
be one of the more readable ones :o).

Andrei