T[new]

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Aug 9 14:24:22 PDT 2009

grauzone:

> I see two things a dotnet implementation of D could have over native D:
> - better garbage collector (the D one barely does its job...)

The dotnet GC is probably better than the current D GC, but I think it's designed for mostly movable objects. Currently most (or all) D objects are pinned (they can't be moved around in memory), so I don't know if the dotnet GC will do much good.
D needs a GC designed for its peculiar characteristics. And I believe D will also need some extra semantics to allow the creation of such efficient half-movable half-pinned GC (I have explained such ideas one time in the past).

Bye,
bearophile