OT - Which Linux?

Justin mrjnewt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 16:15:10 PDT 2009

Paul D. Anderson Wrote:

> I'm going to add Linux to my PC to get a dual-boot configuration. (I'm tired of sloooow start ups and want to tap into the great tools available.) The tutorial I'm looking at suggests Ubuntu. Is there a significant difference in Linux implementations? Is Ubuntu one of the better ones? Does it make a difference for running D2?
>
> Thanks in advance for your hellp.
>
> Paul

I use Ubuntu exclusively on my computers and my wife dual-boots Ubuntu and XP on her laptop. She vastly prefers Ubuntu and I am responsible for most of the boots to XP (playing Total War on her laptop). Ubuntu has a lot going for it: both the GNOME and KDE flavors can easily be configured for gorgeous eye-candy and productivity that I haven't seen matched in Windows or Mac yet. The biggest draws for me are the package system (1 command to instantly install, without annoying dialogs, a program and all its dependencies) and the reliability. Because Ubuntu releases every six months, instead as the components are updated, things generally work well together out of the "box"--which can be important, particularly for folks new to Linux.
Get an Ubuntu LiveCD (just download and burn) and try running it with your existing setup. You can run Ubuntu without making any changes to your system.