OT - Which Linux?

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Wed Aug 19 16:34:52 PDT 2009

Paul D. Anderson wrote:
> I'm going to add Linux to my PC to get a dual-boot configuration.
> (I'm tired of sloooow start ups and want to tap into the great tools
> available.) The tutorial I'm looking at suggests Ubuntu. Is there a
> significant difference in Linux implementations? Is Ubuntu one of the
> better ones? Does it make a difference for running D2?
>
> Thanks in advance for your hellp.
>
> Paul

If you're new to linux I highly recommend Ubuntu. It's the most widely
used linux distribution and one of the easiest to use, so it will be
easy to get support should you need it. There are repositories for ldc
and several major projects (qtd, tango etc) too which should save you
some effort setting up. As for running D2, it makes no difference what
distro you choose.

Of course you're free to choose any distro you like, I personally favor
Arch Linux due to its flexibility and constantly updated packages, it
isn't really aimed at beginners and the "bleeding edge" packages could
cause breakages, which will be annoying if you're new to Linux and don't
know how to fix the issues.

Robert