D features - wanna start project

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Aug 21 07:39:06 PDT 2009

toki:

>I love D, and after using Java for years I want to switch back to D.<

Welcome to D. You can program D almost as C, or as C++, or as Java. The best strategy is often to mix such three styles and to add some other things coming from functional programming and specific of D (mixins, etc).
Programming D in pure Java-style will lead to low performance (because the GC is quite slower and virtual functions generally aren't inlined yet).

> 1. Is D still under development ? Is it still supported ?

D1 and D2 are supported. D1 is mostly in debug mode, D2 is alpha state still.

> 3. Are there any OpenGL bindings ?

Yep.

> 4. I often use HashMap, HashSet, TreeMap, TreeSet. Do they have counterparts in D ?<

HashMaps are buil-in in D. You can probably find those in Tango. I don't know about TreeSet.

>DefaultMutableTreeModel<

I think that in D people usually create their own trees. there are too many different types of them (I have seen some implementations).

I leave the other questions to other people.

Bye,
bearophile