Reference value of structs not optimized or inlined?

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 29 08:50:20 PDT 2009

== Quote from Walter Bright (newshound1 at digitalmars.com)'s article
> Ary Borenszweig wrote:
> > Walter Bright escribió:
> >> There are a lot of D specific optimization opportunities that are left
> >> undone for now.
> > Why?
> Which of the thousand things people want done in D should be done first?

I'd say things should get a priority bump if they're either:

1.  Major breaking changes.  Let's get these out of the way so the spec can stabilize.

2.  Bugs that substantially reduce the functionality of new/D-specific features,
thus preventing comments on how these features might be improved, etc.

3.  High bang for buck, i.e. something that, given the background of the person
implementing it, would help a lot of people/situations for relatively little effort.

For the most part, I agree that performance optimizations can wait.  It's just
that, when ref params are used at a very low level in Phobos (think swap() ), and
it's easy for someone with the right background to implement ref inlining, that
makes it a very high bang for buck optimization.