Phobos packages a bit confusing

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Dec 1 15:58:25 PST 2009

Rainer Deyke:
> "open" by itself is ambiguous.  What are you opening?  A window?  A
> network port?  I think the word "file" needs to be in there somewhere to
> disambiguate.

When you program in Python you remember that open is a built-in function to open files :-)
When you want to open other things you import other names from some module.
So this ambiguity usually doesn't introduce bugs. It' a well known convention. Few well chosen conventions (sensible defaults) save you from a lot of useless coding.

Bye,
bearophile