new version

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 2 13:22:11 PST 2009

== Quote from Leandro Lucarella (llucax at gmail.com)'s article
> And BTW, GCC implements 7 languages (at least 7 languages are present as
> bugzilla components: ada, c, c++, fortran, java, objc and objc++), so
> doing a rough estimative, 5442/7 ~= 800, less than DMD, which implements
> only D.
> Seriously Walter, you *can't* possibly compare DMD with GCC, it's almost
> funny when you do it =P

The comparison is ridiculous anyway.  D is a rapidly evolving language that
doesn't even have a stable spec yet.

"Walking on water and developing software from a specification are easy if both
are frozen."

-- Edward V Berard

Seriously, all of the languages GCC implements have been around since at least the
Paleozoic Era, some since the Big Bang.  This means that they have a stable spec
and that there's been plenty of time for bug fixing.  A lot of bugs in Bugzilla
are D2-only, though I can't quantify this.  D1 had been relatively well-debugged.
 If you want the latest and greatest features, you have to accept the possibility
of more bugs.  This is, always has been, and always will be a fact of life in all
software and it's ridiculous to think that D should somehow be an exception.