new version

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Wed Dec 2 13:29:48 PST 2009

Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> Leandro Lucarella, el  2 de diciembre a las 17:53 me escribiste:
>> Walter Bright, el  2 de diciembre a las 12:23 me escribiste:
>>> Here's the gcc bug list with 5,442 open issues:
>>>
>>> http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=&content=
>>>
>>> and the d bug list with 1,403 open issues:
>>>
>>> http://d.puremagic.com/issues/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Bug+Number&remtype=asdefault&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=
>> I'd like to compare the user base and calculate the bugs/users ratio.
>> I guess GCC's would be orders of magnitude smaller.
>
> And BTW, GCC implements 7 languages (at least 7 languages are present as
> bugzilla components: ada, c, c++, fortran, java, objc and objc++), so
> doing a rough estimative, 5442/7 ~= 800, less than DMD, which implements
> only D.
>
> Seriously Walter, you *can't* possibly compare DMD with GCC, it's almost
> funny when you do it =P

My post was in response to the bug *count* being a showstopper. My point
is it's absurd, because you can always slice the data to mean whatever
you want it to mean. For example, many of the "bugs" in the dmd list are
enhancement requests, bugs in the library (not the compiler), bugs in
the documentation (not the compiler), etc.

My original resistance to even having a public buglist is precisely
because people will merely count the number of issues and declare it to
be a "buggy" product.