new version

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 14:07:15 PST 2009

Walter Bright, el  2 de diciembre a las 13:29 me escribiste:
> >>I'd like to compare the user base and calculate the bugs/users ratio.
> >>I guess GCC's would be orders of magnitude smaller.
> >
> >And BTW, GCC implements 7 languages (at least 7 languages are present as
> >bugzilla components: ada, c, c++, fortran, java, objc and objc++), so
> >doing a rough estimative, 5442/7 ~= 800, less than DMD, which implements
> >only D.
> >
> >Seriously Walter, you *can't* possibly compare DMD with GCC, it's almost
> >funny when you do it =P
> >

> My post was in response to the bug *count* being a showstopper. My
> point is it's absurd, because you can always slice the data to mean
> whatever you want it to mean. For example, many of the "bugs" in the
> dmd list are enhancement requests, bugs in the library (not the
> compiler), bugs in the documentation (not the compiler), etc.

Sure, but your comparison with GCC just makes things more absurd, not
less. I completely agree with you that bug count (alone) is not a good
measure of compiler quality, I just don't agree with the GCC comparison
to prove it.

And I think DMD is far buggier than GCC, I just never came across a GCC
bug, and I hit several DMD bugs (and I use GCC much, *MUCH* more than
DMD). I think GCC being developed by hundreds of people is the big factor.
DMD is getting *FAR* better since you opened the code.

> My original resistance to even having a public buglist is precisely
> because people will merely count the number of issues and declare it
> to be a "buggy" product.

No, I think people thinks DMD is buggy because if you code in D, you are
almost guaranteed to end up filling a bug report (or at least searching
for one and seeing it's already reported). That doesn't happen with GCC.
Again, fortunately, since you opened the DMD code, this is improving
fairly fast. I hope you can change the license some time, and you start
encouraging other people involvement more actively, so the number of
contributors to DMD keep growing.