yank '>>>'?

Chad J chadjoan at __spam.is.bad__gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 12:14:51 PST 2009

dsimcha wrote:
> == Quote from KennyTM~ (kennytm at gmail.com)'s article
>> No, it will _silently_ break code that uses >>> as unsigned right shift.
>
> Well, we could get around this by making >>> an error for a few releases, and then
> only after everyone's removed their >>>s that mean unsigned shift, we could drop
> in the rotate semantics.

Only works so well.

This would still remain a problem for porting other languages to D.
Java code would silently break as it is ported, for example.  If you're
porting you need to know these things anyways, but it doesn't help.

It doesn't seem justified to add such a problem just to get convenient
notation for bit rotation.

FWIW, I'd be perfectly happy with >>> just being removed.