D2 GUI Libs

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 12:51:08 PST 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 03:14:18PM -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Adam also said there's a liability issue, but (IANAL) that would surprise me
> because AIUI, public domain is all about severing *all* ties between an
> author and their work. But then again, that's probably just one of those
> things that differs by country.

Neither myself nor my boss are lawyers either, so this might not be completely
accurate, but the worry he explained was if you provide something, there is
an automatic warranty on it: you are implicitly saying that it is fit for
the purpose you are providing it for and taking responsibility for safety
issues associated with it.

The big ALL CAPS paragraph in most licenses specifically disclaims this,
whereas offering something that is public domain doesn't, so the assumption
is that the implicit warranty from distributing it is still there.

--
Adam D. Ruppe
http://arsdnet.net