The path to unity

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Fri Feb 6 16:29:39 PST 2009

== Quote from Jarrett Billingsley (jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com)'s article
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Sean Kelly <sean at invisibleduck.org> wrote:
> >
> > druntime already has "core", is there truly a need for a second top-level
> > namespace?
> The math library almost unarguably belongs in core, since it's just
> giving you access to more capabilities of the processor, more or less.
>  I'm just worried about the extent to which this might end up going.
> stdc is already kind of pushing it; it's not really central to the
> language or to runtime operation.  I'd rather not see more stuff
> shoved into core that isn't core.

stdc is only in core because some of the core modules use it in some
indirect manner, and so the imports have to at least be available.  The
alternative would be to define this stuff directly in the relevant module,
but that would mean a lot of platform-specific code in version blocks
for one or two modules (such as core.thread).  The alternative would
be some sort of "pimpl" approach to hide these imports entirely, but
yuck.

Sean