Why version() ?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Wed Feb 11 12:19:29 PST 2009

Walter Bright skrev:

>> Maybe I'm missing something here, but why is Mac OS X including
>> std.c.linux.linux ? Shouldn't it use std.c.darwin.darwin instead ?
>
> You're not missing anything. This needs to be cleaned up. (BTW, it will
> be osx, not darwin, as "darwin" seems to be only used in internal Apple
> documentation, whereas the published stuff says "OSX".)

"darwin" is the uname(1) name of Mac OS X, sort of like the
"linux" for GNU/Linux. Darwin is also a stand-alone OS, but
that isn't used much anymore (but still available from Apple
as a CD download, or from the http://puredarwin.org project).

OSX is the new name for Apple's OSes: Mac OS X and iPhone OS.

And of course DMD can use anything, but GDC uses darwin/Unix.

--anders

PS. I personally think it looks bad, but it is slightly better
     than OS/X at least (which makes you think of OS/2 Warp)