OT -- Re: random cover of a range

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 09:01:49 PST 2009

Hello Steve,

> On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 19:10:05 +0000, John Reimer wrote:
>
>> Hello bearophile,
>>
>>> (And my name is bearophile, thank you).
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> bearophile
>> For those that see this as flamebait, I request that you do not
>> respond.
>> I just felt somebody had to say something about this.  If this is
>> perceived
>> to be libelous, I ask that you consider carefully how damaging your
>> content is to others, and the feelings it might engender in its
>> viewers.
>> Thus, you should recognize that this post merely elucidates on what's
>> already evident.
> I too did not find anything offensive on bearophile's site.

Maybe it's gone now?  Hmmm...  I guess it's time for me to shutup?

> This is the same kind of attitude, John, that brought about the death
> of Alan Turing.

That's a strong accusation, Steve, without knowing me; it's a very hasty
reduction for circumstances, personalities, and factors you are quite unfamiliar
with.  I didn't see you mention this sort of thing while people were talking
about physically harming the internet marketer's in horrible ways in the
javascript discussion. :)

> I find this post is not flamebait, but simply
> intolerant.

Yes, it is a form of intolerance.  Sometimes it must exist.  You have some
of it too... it's just at what point it is activated and how you act on it.
  You assume violence always follows from intolerance.  It does only from
the those worldviews or personalities that believe such action is justified.
 I abhore such.  But, using the "intolerance" accusation against me is very
weak method to discharge such activity, especially considering the same accusation
could be used for any government that allows votes on matters.  You are intolerant
every day.  You are intolerant of some D designs.  The problem is, when we
get to nitty gritty details of morality, this consistancy ends with a bang...
and suddenly nobody should argue, discuss, or even consider the dangers of
such things.

Please stick to arguing that perhaps I was indiscrete or had poor judgement
in my original post and keep the suggestions (as you have) to alternative
modes of accomplishing the same task.  But don't give that silly intolerance
bit.  I've seen the same from all sides, and there's a world of hypocracy
wrapped in that statement.

?  Bearophile never brought his personal preferences or
> fantasies into this forum, you did.  And that is not the way to do
> something like that.  I can see your point that Walter or Andrei may
> not want D or phobos to be considered connected to something that is
> controversial.  But just email them and have a private conversation.
> John, the fact that not a *single* person who has responded to your
> posts shares your opinion should tell you something.

Yes, I believe he did in a way as I listed above.  But perhaps I should have
done as you suggested... first.

> If I posted a picture of Jesus nailed to a cross on my blog, along
> with my D code, and somebody found it offensive, would you agree that
> I should be forced to remove this picture because it depicts murder?

False analogy.  However, someone may request you to remove it... and you
may do it out of courtesy or you may not.  I guarantee you there would be
something that /would/ most certainly make you back away from any association
with a site if you really thought about it.  Naturally we all have our limits...
you are just refusing to admit it.

> Bearophile's art did not hurt anyone or any animal, it is a *drawing*.
> Let's get back to more constructive programming discussion, and leave
> the bible study class at home, ok John?  If you feel offended by the
> link to bearophile's blog, contact Andrei or Walter directly, and
> petition them.  It matters not what we think, but if anything you most
> certainly have solidified in Walter and Andrei's eyes the case against
> your wishes.

There was no Bible-study done here, Steve.  I believe it was practically
minded and argued.  But it is convenient for people to repeatedly make that
accusation to religion when they don't have a better argument.

That may be the case about Andrei and Walter... in which it would prove that
my approach was deeply flawed.  But that would only be so if it were my only
reason for posting here.  It does matter what you think... perhaps more than
you know.

-JJR