OT -- Re: random cover of a range

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Feb 16 23:57:13 PST 2009

"John Reimer" <terminal.node at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:28b70f8c145458cb5ea19dc58340 at news.digitalmars.com...
> Hello Nick,
>
>> "John Reimer" <terminal.node at gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:28b70f8c1452e8cb5e9c3ce5b5d0 at news.digitalmars.com...
>>
>>> Hello Walter,

>>> That's one way to shift responsibility.
>>>
>> As a listener, I find the suggestion that the speaker is the one in
>> control of my reaction downright insulting. No one's attempting to
>> "shift responsibility" here.
>>

> Hmm... I didn't think of it quite that way. :)
>

> Nick, I'm merely saying that we must take responsibility for what we say,
> including the potential affect on the listener.

Hmm, I can sympathise with that point. However, I'm convinced it's a futile
effort in most cases, except perhaps direct one-on-one conversation. The
problem is that people are just very different. Sure, some people find South
Park and George Carlin disgusting and offensive, but others find them
appealing and quite literally find the squeaky-clean content of Brady Bunch
and Leave It To Beaver to be deplorable (for a number of different reasons).
Some groups of people regularly toss around swear words in ordinary
conversation with none of the listeners ever getting the slightest tinge of
discomfort. Other people are offended by such swear words, but on the other
hand, many people are *truly* offended by political correctness.

If everybody was the same, then sure, it would make perfect sense to expect
people to take responsibility for how the listener is affected. But this is
the real world, and everyone is not remotely the same, so in most cases such
a convention would be tricky at best, and in the case of mass-media, it's
nothing short of a complete and total impossibility.

Incidentally, this is exactly why I consider the golden rule to be great in
spirit and as a rough general guideline, but absoultely terrible when taken
as-is.

> I'm afraid as I get more tired, my brain waves get fuzzier.

Heh, this is one area where you and me *are* the same ;)