OT -- Re: random cover of a range

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Feb 18 14:29:37 PST 2009

"John Reimer" <terminal.node at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:28b70f8c1460c8cb5f4c18ef2950 at news.digitalmars.com...

> So what we have here is a society where people are becoming so used to
> hearing and saying expletives and profanity that they no longer think of
> their meaning, even though these words retain their meaning still.

Oh, I very much disagree with this. If I say, for example, "Why isn't this
fucking line of code working?" it's blatantly obvious that I'm not remotely
talking about sex. Or if someone tells me "Fuck you, you piece of shit!",
I'm well aware that the connotation is nothing more than a very strong form
of "I'm very angry at you", and that they're not actually talking about sex
or excrement. Granted, sometimes such words are used for their original
meaning, but in the examples above, the connection between "fuck" and "sex",
and the connection between "shit" and "excrement", become nothing more than
matters of etymology.