Is str ~ regex the root of all evil, or the leaf of all good?

Derek Parnell derek at psych.ward
Thu Feb 19 13:17:55 PST 2009

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 07:51:46 -0800, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> bearophile wrote:
>> Andrei Alexandrescu:
>>
>>> I think the "g", "i", and "m" flags are popular enough if you've done any amount of regex
>> programming.<
>>
>> I think I don't like the "g".
>
> How can anyone think they don't like something? You like it or not, but
> it's not the result of a thought process. I guess.

It is not a question of whether one likes or doesn't like; this expression
is attempting to say something about one's level of certainty about liking
something. That is to say, one might not be positive if they *know* if they
like something or not, therefore they *think* (suspect, but not have
definitive evidence) of their stance.

> Anyway: g is from Perl. Let's keep it that way.

Perfect justification ;-)

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia