Anomaly on Wiki4D GuiLibraries page

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 14:16:23 PST 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 6:46 AM, John Reimer <terminal.node at gmail.com> wrote:
> Back to the present.  Again, it would be easier if we just fix this
> situation by changing the "dwt" newsgroup to "GUI" and forget about the
> reference to "standard" for now.

Ugh, that would be terrible.  I really don't care what troubles a GTKD
user is facing, and I'm sure that the GTKD user couldn't care less
what issues are hot in the DWT world.

Putting several different gui groups under one top-level gui heading
would be fine though.  I mean like
digitalmars.D.gui.{dwt,gtkd,qtd,...}.

> The time to "standardize" a GUI library is
> perhaps when a project has proven its survivability and popularity enough to
> warrant the title.  Even so, GUI's are going to be particularly
> controversial, so it may be wise for D to avoid standardizing any such thing
> for awhile.  Just as there are people that don't like the Tango "style" (a
> very /few/ people, of course ;) ), even so there are going to be people that
> don't like dwt.

With Python, they put wrappers for Tk into the standard distribution
long ago, and it's still the only one there AFAIK, but I don't think
it's all that popular any more.  wxPython, pyQt, and wxGTK have all
taken off since then and offer a lot more functionality.

Still it's nice to have a basic cross-platform GUI right there in the
standard distribution of the language.

--bb