Any chance to call Tango as Extended Standard Library

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 23:35:54 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Yigal Chripun <yigal100 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Christopher Wright wrote:
>>
>> Walter Bright wrote:

>>> There doesn't really need to be anything wrong with them. What's wrong
>>> with head/toe?
>>
>> It sounds stupid.
>
> it sounds stupid and is uninformative. for example,
> auto cars = new BinaryTree!(Car)();
> auto a = cars.toe;
> auto b = cars.last;
>
> now, reading the above, what's the toe of cars? that's just silly.
>
> Does this make sense to English speakers? most likly. but for say, chinese?
> I don't know.
>
> instead of inveting terms than imply something based on some phrase that not
> all non-native English speakers will recognize, it is far better to just use
> the proper English term for the last item - "last". KISS solution.

Hmm, what *is* the problem with first/last?  I seem to remember there
was something against it but I think that was when the semantics were
slightly different and .last was going to mean one past the end.
Current docs make it looks like it .toe does mean the last element
itself, not the one just past.

--bb