Any chance to call Tango as Extended Standard Library

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 20 08:17:16 PST 2009

"Sean Kelly" wrote
> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

>>> Yes, it explicitly states that it's source code-only requirement.
>>> Perhaps the page should include an approximate explanation, to remove
>>> confusion
>>
>> I'm not a lawyer, but I think that the artistic license requires source
>> redistribution (I agree the license is difficult to comprehend), whereas
>> the BSD style license requires attribution with binaries.  So either way,
>> you must provide attribution.  Some companies may frown upon that,
>> especially when we're talking about a standard library.
>
> I've read the BSD license very carefully and I think it only requires
> attribution with binary distributions of the library, not apps written
> with the library.  If I'm wrong I'd love to know, because druntime is
> currently BSD licensed (something I've been meaning to reconsider).

As D currently is statically linked, any application is a binary
distribution of the library.  However, even with shared libraries, I believe
it is still considered a binary distribution if your application uses the
library (as your code needs the dynamic library to run).  This is why the
LGPL exists.  I don't know if there is an equivalent BSD version.

Again, not a lawyer :)

-steve