Give me a break

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Jul 1 12:52:24 PDT 2009

"Jason House" <jason.james.house at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:h2flfv$1bkj$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Kagamin Wrote:
>
>> yigal chripun Wrote:
>>
>> > there is no defined system for the development of D. even MS has a well
>> > defined plan for their .net platform. where's the plan for D? where the
>> > process to define that plan?
>> > Either you need to have a plan or you need to have a community driven
>> > process (Java JSRs, Python PEPs).
>>
>> How the development plan relates to tango? There's a plan to port tango
>> to D2, though it proved to be troublesome. And I think, tango is supposed
>> to be community driven.
>
> My understanding is that the D2 port was an effort by one inspired
> community member. It lived in its own branch and quickly got out of date.
> Both D2 and this mailing list are completely ignored by the Tango
> developers. Once D2 stops changing, they may reconsider. As far as I know,
> however, there is no way to maintain a dual D1/D2 code base, and that
> makes me worry that the Tango devs will have to choose between D1 and D2.

You make it sound like the Tango devs are just being stubborn. But AIUI, it
*is* Tango's plan to port to D2 as soon as D2 stabalizes (a lesson learned
from the prior efforts that you mentioned), which Walter/Andrei have been
promising will be in a few months around the time of the book's release.

And I've seen some of them around here, like Lars and Sean. I suppose I
haven't seen Kris unless he goes by a different name here. But then there's
Jasha's who's just plain been busy, so that's understandable with him. (I
forget offhand who else is a regular tango guy, I'm terrible with names
anyway...) From what I can tell, I don't see much evidence to suggest that
the Tango guys are avoiding the ng.