At a crossroad

Sjoerd van Leent svanleent at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 00:53:35 PDT 2009

Nick Sabalausky Wrote:

> "Sjoerd van Leent" <svanleent at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:h2fs94$1q37$1 at digitalmars.com...
> >

> > However, Tango and Phobos (D1) are simply incompatible. It's rather
> > impossible to link both of them together.
> >
> > If library A is based on Tango and library B on Phobos, currently, it will
> > not be possible to let them work together.
> >

> Yea, but isn't this less of a problem in practice (even in the interim
> before a stable D2) than it's often made out to be? Of coruse, I can see
> how, on paper, it could be a horrible situation. But IMO the current reality
> is that, and no offence to Walter, but Phobos1 just kind of sucks. And
> because of that, the vast majority of D1 libs I've seen (at least the
> still-active ones) are either Tango or dual-version (using conditional
> compilation).

I agree that Phobos1 is not what we're looking for. But it makes things confusing to new developers. With serious problems in the long end.

I'm just giving a warning that we shouldn't have a similar situation with D2. I think druntime is a good start at getting this solved. As Phobos2 is a lot better anyway, it wouldn't have the problems that currently exist.

Basically I've got two hopes:

- No confusing library situation for D2
- D2 is final for a longer time, in such a way that software tooling gets a chance

I still believe it would help development and bringing D2 to the public.