new DIP1: DIP Template

Wed Jul 8 02:44:25 PDT 2009

Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> Hello, I just created a DIP (D Improvement Proposal) index[1] and the
> first DIP (DIP1), a DIP template[2].
>
> Here is the complete text, to make easier to discuss it:

> = DIP1: DIP Template =
>
> DIP:           1
> Title:         DIP Template
> Version:       1
> Author:        Leandro Lucarella <llucax at gmail.com>
>
> == Abstract =
>
> This is a sample template to easily start a new DIP. DIPs can be fairly
> informal for now, but at least the leading metadata should be included, and a
> short abstract.
>
> == Rationale =
>
> Keeping track of improvement proposals is very hard and not well documented
> organized. Having a template (and a process) for such proposals can improve the
> situation significantly.
>
> == Usage =
>
> To start a new DIP you can go to Edit link and copy the source of this DIP,
> then go to [DiPs DIP index] and add a new item in the list. The DIP number
> should be one more than the last DIP in the index (for example, if the DIP1 is
> the last DIP, your DIP should be DIP2). The link in the index should have the
> form: "[DiPx DIPx (title)]: resume", where 'x' is the DIP number, 'title' is
> the DIP title and 'resume' is a short description about the DIP.
>
> Save the DIP index page and click on the '?' at the side of the new link. Now
> you are editing the new DIP you just created, now paste the copied *'source*
> text from this template and replace all the you need.
>
> Remember to update the metadata at the start of the DIP, and keep it as a Draft
> at the beginning. When your DIP is done, you should announce it in the News
> Group for discussion, with a subject like this: '''new DIPx: title''' (where
> one more time ''x'' is the DIP number and ''title'' is the DIP title).
>
> You should always put you DIPs in the Public Domain (or a similarly permissive
> license but use Public Domain unless you're very sure of what you're doing).
>
> == Copyright =
>
> This document has been placed in the Public Domain.

> [1] http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DiPs
> [2] http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DiP1

I think this is a good idea. :) Regarding the template, I think there
should be one more section, called "Description". Then each DIP would be
organised as follows:

Abstract:
     Short summary of description, rationale and usage.
     Detailed description of proposal.
Rationale:
     Explanation of why proposal has been made, why the new feature
     should be included.
Usage:
     Examples, etc.

Also, each DIP should have a "Status/comments" section at the bottom
where Walter & co. can say whether the proposal needs more
specification, better description, etc.

-Lars