new DIP1: DIP Template

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 18:19:21 PDT 2009

On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 19:25:28 -0300, Leandro Lucarella wrote:

> Jesse Phillips, el  8 de julio a las 17:43 me escribiste:

>> > I don't understand this.
>>
>> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?D__Tutorial
>>
>> Can be linked with either {{D Tutorial}} or [D__Tutorial tutorials]
>
> Ahhhh, now I get it =)

>> > The Wiki versions are not good enough, because you might change some
>> > typo in the DIP but don't make a version bump. Versions of DIPs are
>> > much more important than wiki pages revisions (which are just for
>> > revision control). I think it would be a bad idea to have both tied.
>>
>> If you are thinking that you would want to fix a typo in a previous DIP
>> version, I think this is a bad idea. A revision "snapshot" should not
>> be a living document. But I suppose it really isn't as horrible as my
>> first impression.
>
> =)
>
> This is of course a matter of taste. I think making a version bump just
> for a typo is not very nice, but other people might think otherwise.
>
> Anyway, the fact that DIPs are in the wiki is incidental, and tomorrow
> maybe they will be in bugzilla or who knows where, and I think the
> version number should belong to the DIP and not to the interface used to
> store / write them.

I think you may not understand my suggestion, as the DIP version would
belong to the DIP as a reference to an wiki archive version. So the
archive page would contain something like:

DIP 1 [...?action=archive&cmd=page&version=1.1&id=LanguageDevelopment/
DIPs/DIP1 Ver 1]
DIP 1 [...?action=archive&cmd=page&version=1.45&id=LanguageDevelopment/
DIPs/DIP1 Ver 2]

However I do concede that your method is completely reasonable.