new DIP2: Const code bloat

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 09:37:47 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 7:26 AM, Leandro Lucarella<llucax at gmail.com> wrote:
> Kagamin, el  9 de julio a las 09:46 me escribiste:
>> DiP2 is here. Check it.
>>
>> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DiPs
>> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DiP2
>>
>> ps code markup is not very nice.
>
> It would be very nice if you include at least the abstract in the mail, so
> it's easier to discuss the DIP here.
>
> And as bearophile pointed, the DIP is missing the author. I think a DIP
> can't be taken very seriously without an author. I think a DIP author
> should be committed to maintain the DIP (this doesn't mean that other
> people can't update it) and do the requested changes to make the DIP move
> forward to its acceptance.
>
> As for the DIP itself, I didn't used the const system in D2 yet, so
> I can't give a good opinion, but I think that adding a new kind of
> pseudo-constness can be a little bloat. Of course, having to copy the same
> code 3 times is much worse, so if nobody has a better solution for the
> problem, I guess I can live with it =)

I have to say I read the previous proposals when they were proposed
here on the newsgroup, but when I saw the DIP just using a new keyword
"vconst" instead of "inout" it looked soooooo much more readable to
me.  Might just be me, but I think my brain had a hard time convincing
my eyes that inout had anything to with const.

--bb