new DIP1: DIP Template

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+d at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 12:21:00 PDT 2009

Stewart Gordon Wrote:

> A nice idea; however, my feeling is that there are too many places for
> proposing D features.  At the moment, feature proposals are split between:
>
> - the newsgroups
> - the eigenpoll - http://all-technology.com/eigenpolls/dwishlist/
> - the wiki - http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?FeatureRequestList
> - Bugzilla
> - and now, DIPs

You forgot the peeves

http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?PendingPeeves

> What does this achieve that the others don't?  I think what we need is
> to consolidate all the still-open feature proposals from these various
> systems into something that achieves the best of all five worlds.

It gives u place to write thought out proposals that can be accepted, rejected, and revised.

And most importantly, it is a fresh/clean start which fits nicely into the new site layout. And you are correct, consolidation is needed. A clean board makes this easier. Sadly it as a lot of work to move the old into a new formal environment. I will probably add my share, but a issue for me is that I am not knowledgeable on many of the requests to fill in details... then to top it off if I do create them I'll be the one responsible to track things relating to them.

The main hope is that this will provide a way to official and consolidated statements as to when and if a feature will be accepted. It would be nice if Walter were to give an official statement on the existing DIPs so as to create more incentive to formalize existing ideas:

http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel#FutureDirections