Dynamic D Library

grauzone none at example.net
Thu Jul 16 18:30:50 PDT 2009

Jussi Jumppanen wrote:
> BCS Wrote:
>
>> If I'm understanding the situation correctly, what you just
>> described is ONLY a problem on Windows and only because
>> of a design flaw in the way DLL's work.
>
> That might be well be the case.
>
> But to basically then say that “when developing with D on Windows
> it is highly recommended that DLL's are not used” will just end up
> sounding like limitation of D and not of Windows DLLs.

I know a simple counter measure: use DLLs as a container for the DDL
specific format. AFAIK C# does exactly the same.

By the way, can't you simply put the runtime into a DLL, and load that
by the host program? D DLL would also depend from the runtime DLL. Then
the runtime would be shared, wouldn't it?