Two optimizations

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Jul 28 01:53:02 PDT 2009

Jarrett Billingsley:
> No, *bugzilla* and *the LDC ticket tracker* are the right place to ask
> for such optimizations.

LDC isn't the right place for such optimizations because:
- They are not easy, especially the first one, so Walter may be fitter for such work;
- Such optimizations require brain and maybe even planning. So they have to be discussed first. A forum is a fine place for this;
- If implemented correctly, the first optimization changes the running time enough to encourage a different programming style (for example Phobos2 can be rewritten a lot, using just delegates instead of strings). So it's something language-wide and not just something that speeds up code a bit;
- They are general things, useful regardless the backend (and maybe a backend can't perform such operations because it doesn't know about such higher level things of D), so you want such things not just in LDC, but in DMD too, and in future D compiler too. So implementing it for LDC is bad.

> You also run the risk of running afoul of the good graces of the developers.<

Already done since few months, I fear.
When people don't like me anymore, I'll leave. I'm not interested in a career in trolling.

Bye,
bearophile