Two optimizations

Don nospam at nospam.com
Tue Jul 28 12:02:00 PDT 2009

language_fan wrote:
> Tue, 28 Jul 2009 04:53:02 -0400, bearophile thusly wrote:
>
>> Such optimizations require brain and maybe even planning. So they have
>> to be discussed first.
>
> The discussion or collective community opinion won't help a bit. Walter
> is the only person who decides what goes into the spec and what doesn't.

> The D developers are supposed to solve practical issues, not take part in
> latest academic discussion.

The situations bearophile posted looked pretty practical to me. They're
examples of where immutability can be used in optimisation. They belong
in bugzilla. Tag them with the 'performance' keyword.

Unfortunately, at the present time there are so many bugs in bugzilla
that optimisation doesn't get much attention. (One of my performance
patches will be in the next DMD, but it's pretty rare event -- they only
happen as light relief from difficult and boring bug fixes <g>).

Bearophile, PLEASE put them in bugzilla. They'll get lost otherwise,
which is a shame since they're good observations.