D Wiki

Brad Roberts braddr at bellevue.puremagic.com
Mon Jun 8 10:40:19 PDT 2009

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009, Robert Clipsham wrote:

> Brad Roberts wrote:
> > This has come up before and never really gone anywhere.  I've considered
> > setting
> > up a new, modern, wiki for us to migrate to.  Prowiki has a number of
> > limitations that annoy me at least.  The biggest is it's history management
> > sucks.  Looking at what changed over time is either too hard for the likes
> > of me
> > to figure out, or it's broken, or it just isn't available.
>
> Excellent idea! +1

One thing I'm particularly interested in gathering is reasons NOT to start
fresh on a new site.  A lot of +1's is interesting so far as to gather
some sort of majority (as if the posters here are actually the majority),
but real justifications either way are more valuable to me.

> > That said, I've only ever run one wiki package, mediawiki, and it was a pain
> > in
> > the rear.  The debian packaging of it sucks.  I dunno if it's any easier to
> > manage just off the official releases.
>
> I've also only run one wiki package too, mediawiki. From my experience it was
> good wiki software, but far too bloated. I'd also recommend installing
> whatever software you decide on from source rather than using the debian
> repositories, from my experience life is a lot easier as you actually know
> what's going on with the software :P

I have no trouble understanding how software works regardless of who
packages it, be it the original distributor or a distribution's
maintainer.  That's irrelevant.  What's relevant is which is easier to
maintain in a real running situation over a broad span of time.

> > Anyone have a wiki package they've actually run (not just used via the web
> > interface) that they can recommend?  An obvious one is likely to be Trac via
> > dsource.  I've considered it, but personally I'm really not fond of trac
> > (sorry).
>
> All I can do is give you
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wiki_software to flick through, to
> see which packages do what you need, then have a play with some of them.

Again, I really desire facts from experience, not a grid of feature
comparisons.  I've done that reading, several times at various points over
the years, it's useless for the questions that are really important to me.

> > Would any of you guys volunteer to help migrate content to it if one should
> > spring up?  I'd be willing to be one of those volunteers, but there's a lot
> > of
> > content and it really shouldn't be moved over exactly as is.  A lot of
> > re-organization should be done.
>
> Volunteered.

Excellent.

> > My thoughts were to put it at d.puremagic.com to subsume the entire site,
> > with
> > the exception of /issues which would continue to be the bugzilla
> > installation.
>
> Sounds good to me. If you need somewhere to mirror it I also don't mind
> volunteering for this.

Offsite backups are likely to be the only real requirement, and I've got
that covered already.

Thanks,
Brad