Community-maintained installer for D (was: Re: [OT] Andrei writes "The Case for D")

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Jun 16 14:29:42 PDT 2009

BCS wrote:
> Reply to Benjamin,
>
>> Reply to Walter,
>>
>> Someone in there started a gripe about installers (they doesn't want
>> to have to edit their path). Would you have any objections to (in
>> addition to the current .zip distro) having officially sanctioned
>> .rpm/.deb/.msi distros? Once the infrastructure is in place to build
>> any of them, the rest should be easy.
>>

> p.s. I'm thinking of a setup where someone other than Walter maintains
> them.

I think that's a terrific idea. It's unlikely that Walter would dislike
that, but let's hear from him.

People complaining about the lack of a modern simple installer do have a
point. An installer is like the first impression, and therefore it's
more important than most long-time users would think.

Cristi Vlasceanu has contributed a .deb packager for D, see
http://www.dsource.org/projects/phobos/browser/trunk/rpmsrc. I am more
than a bit disappointed that to this day Walter has failed to integrate
that work in his build process. I am disappointed exactly because I know
how important the installer is, something that Walter seems to be
blindsided to (like most of us he empathizes with needs that he has too,
but he seldom needs to install the compiler and knows exactly what to
do, and subliminally assumes anyone would be as content with the
installation process).

So, it would be beyond great if there was a troika of Windows, Linux,
and Mac installers. It could actually be entirely automated - a cron job
could poll ftp.digitalmars.com for new versions and create the installer
as soon as a new version is posted there.

Andrei