[OT] Andrei writes "The Case for D"

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Tue Jun 16 14:31:29 PDT 2009

Brad Roberts wrote:

>> p.s. I'm thinking of a setup where someone other than Walter maintains them.
>
> From a long term maintainability standpoint, if someone wants to produce
> an installer that's likely to have longevity, it should operate on the
> underlying .zip file.  Take the zip and open it, make whatever (hopefully
> damned few) changes necessary, and kick the os as needed.

I never got around to scripting the file manifest, but beyond diffing
the list of files that was pretty much the installer solution suggested.

The script is still available, if wanted...
http://www.algonet.se/~afb/d/dmd-setup.html

The main advantage over the raw .zip file was that it saved the sc.ini
and that it automatically set up the PATH, and also upgrades/uninstall.

> Having to re-build the installer for every release is what has caused
> essentially every installer attempt to die a horrible lingering death.

There was also the slight problem of not being able to share the result.

The installers for GDC seems to have survived the boredom of rebuilding.

--anders