The proper case for D.

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 04:04:02 PDT 2009

Frank Rundell wrote:

> superdan Wrote:
>
>> Steve Teale Wrote:
>>
>> > Can this group come up with a proper, sober (OK, I'm not)
>>
>> den pretty please explain why anyone should give a flyin' fuck fer yer
>> drunken rant.
>

> And your response is why D is never going to be more than a beta compiler
> and interesting discussion piece between a small number of programmers.
>
> If it wants to compete with the 'big boys' it needs an IDE, a GUI library
> that can compile and work, a debugger that understands D, a proper linker,
> packaged releases for linux, an installer for Windows, etc.
>
> D2 is in danger of becoming a camel i.e. a horse designed by a
> committee...
>
> Frank.

?

As far as I know, the 'committee' consists of a gang of three, with Walter
firmly at the driving seat, all working very hard to flesh out a language,
create an innovative library and quality compiler. All the tools and
libraries you mention are being created. In addition there's also LDC which
is shaping up nicely. Not to say everything is already here, but that is a
question of time and manpower, not direction.

What's up with all the negativity lately? Impatience?