The proper case for D.

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 20 15:06:13 PDT 2009

== Quote from grauzone (none at example.net)'s article
> >> D2 is in danger of becoming a camel i.e. a horse designed by a
> >> committee...
> >>
> >> Frank.
> >
> > ?
> >
> > As far as I know, the 'committee' consists of a gang of three, with Walter
> > firmly at the driving seat, all working very hard to flesh out a language,
> > create an innovative library and quality compiler. All the tools and
> > libraries you mention are being created. In addition there's also LDC which
> > is shaping up nicely. Not to say everything is already here, but that is a
> > question of time and manpower, not direction.
> >
> > What's up with all the negativity lately? Impatience?
> Some people think D2 tries too much, and neglects the really important
> things at the same time. For example, D2 tries to solve the concurrency
> issue (which is a hot topic which makes D look good at sites like
> stackoverflow), while still relying on a 20 years old linker written in
> assembler.

But linkers are an implementation detail, threading is really central to what
you'd call "the language".  To me the most important thing for Walter is to get a
stable, well-thought out spec and a "good enough" reference/proof of concept
implementation of that spec out the door.  This means implementing all features
that are going to be implemented and fixing real showstopper bugs that severely
affect the usability of these features ASAP.  For most people, while having a less
than ideal toolchain is annoying, having a moving target is completely useless.
Furthermore, if D didn't bother with new features and was just a slightly better
C++/Java, the switching costs wouldn't be justified.

Another thing to take into account is that mistakes in the spec (and to some
extent the reference implementation is a de facto spec) are a lot more permanent
than bad toolchain implementaitons.  Creating a real top-of-the-line toolchain is
something that can be done after the spec is finalized and the features
implemented without breaking anything.  This includes improving the linker, fixing
bugs that don't fundamentally affect the usability of language features, improving
performance, etc.  It is also something that can be (and is being) done by the
community, i.e. people other than Walter.