The dmd compiler license

hasen hasan.aljudy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 02:52:42 PDT 2009

Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 04:02:37AM -0600, hasen wrote:
>> Well, with this kind of text, how can we *ever* expect D to be adopted?!
>
> Virtually ALL licenses basically say the same thing. It is just legal CYA
> stuff.
>
> From the GPL, for example:
>  THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU.
>
> (And it is surrounded by several lines of basically screaming
>   "NOT MY PROBLEM IF IT SUCKS").
>

> It's nothing to get worked up about.

As Michiel pointed out (thanks, btw), it's not just the disclaimer part,
it's the other parts too.

Usually disclaimers say something like: this was developed with the hope
of being useful, but there's no guarantee at all. I'm giving it to you
for free so if anything goes wrong don't sue me. Though the "DONT SUE
ME" part is all caps and legalese, it's pretty obvious that it's just a
standard disclaimer stuff.

Where as this one (dmd's license) plainly says: look, I'm a dangerous
piece of software, don't come near me if you're not wearing your hazard
suit. I'll probably explode in your face.

- not designed to run after 31 december 1999 (wtf?)
- not undergone testing (wtf?)
- very experimental
- incomplete
- probably doesn't work (wtf?)
- not supported
- don't try it unless you know what you're doing

This, supposedly, is the "stable" D1 compiler.