Give me a break

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 11:13:37 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Tom S<h3r3tic at remove.mat.uni.torun.pl> wrote:
> Please don't confuse these voices with the usual trolling/complaining D
> newcomer with their "omg but D doesn't offer anything more than C++ and it's
> not evolving at Warp 7!!!11eleven", like "superdude"'s recent post. The
> folks I'm talking about have invested considerable amount of time in D and
> simply wouldn't like to be on a sinking ship. They probably love D and see
> no real alternative to switch to, which makes them even more frustrated :P

Yes!  FFS!  I *don't* want D to die.  I've used D for five years and
wouldn't want to use anything else.  It's beyond frustrating to have
used it for so long and to have seen so relatively little improvement
in the implementation quality or the community/library situation.

And before anyone accuses me of not contributing?  Um, how about
maintaining a large scripting language and its mounds of documentation
for the last three years?  How about having reported dozens of bugs
not only in the compiler but also in several third-party libraries?
How about helping all sorts of newcomers on IRC and d.learn?  I
challenge *anyone* to say that I don't fucking contribute to this
community.  I've invested more time into D and my D projects than
anything else I've ever done.