Give me a break

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 13:41:36 PDT 2009

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> 2009/6/29 MIURA Masahiro <echochamber at gmail.com>:
>> Yigal Chripun wrote:
>>> do not tell other people what to think and what to write. this is not
>>> china and you are not the great firewall.
>>> grow up.
>> Apparently you don't share Jarrett's consciousness of the problem
>> that more important issues are left undiscussed.
>
> Exactly.  It's not necessarily that I have a problem with people
> discussing int.nan.  It's when people are discussing int.nan to death
> when _there is a very real possibility that D has no future_.  And
> when people bring up valid, uncomfortable truths and the resulting
> discussion instead degrades into random, minor issues that have
> nothing to do with the original post.

I disagree with the above.
first, people have a prerogative to discuss whatever they want to death.
  don't participate if you don't like it.
second, saying that D has no future is illogical - the spec is open
source and there is a fully open source compiler for it (LDC), so
whatever happens it's always possible to just for it as D++ or
communityD or whatever.
thirdly, D has a dictator, Walter Bright, which decides its fate and we
have almost zero influence on this.

your scripting language, while awesome, has little bearing on the future
of the D language itself.

IMHO, the Tango vs. Phobos licensing issue is the biggest bikeshed color
problem in the D realm and the only people that can solve it are the
tango devs and walter and co. of which Neither are willing to budge.
since I have no power to help solve this problem, I see no need to waste
my time/energy on it. I see therefore only two options to proceed:
a. wait until it is solved by the relevant parties.
b. join a fork effort.