Windows DMD installer

BCS none at anon.com
Tue Jun 30 08:47:04 PDT 2009

Hello Daniel,

> BCS wrote:
>
>> Hello Daniel,
>>
>>> One thing I should probably have made explicit: the Cygwin setup
>>> program downloads all packages as you request them, *and keeps a
>>> local cache*.
>>>
>>> Let's say you wanted to install D on a machine with no 'net access.
>>> Grab the installer, put it on a 'net-connected machine, select what
>>> you
>>> want and check a "download only" option.  Then you can archive the
>>> whole
>>> directory for later.
>> A "bundle everything" installer can't be that much harder to build,
>> how about make one of each?
>>
> Oh, it'd definitely be easier.  *However*
>
> Daniel Keep wrote:
>
>> But technically, the people who download it then can't redistribute
>> it. I just think it's simpler to have the installer download the zip
>> file itself and avoid the problem in its entirety.
>>
> One big download is technically simpler, but not legally.  :P

I am assuming that Walter would host the file and there would be nothing
stopping him from distributing such a file.

> I don't want to have to put up a big "Download D!" link and then have
> a block of small print below it saying "By the way, you're not legally
> allowed to redistribute this installer, host it anywhere, mirror it,
> etc." and then have to explain why.

I would assume most non FOSS stuff can't legally be redistributed even if
it can be downloaded at no cost.

> For reference, here's the applicable snippet of the license:
>
>> The Software is copyrighted and comes with a single user license, and
>> may not be redistributed. If you wish to obtain a redistribution
>> license, please contact Digital Mars.
>>
> Maybe we could work out a license with Walter for the installers which
> allows them to be arbitrarily redistributed provided the installer is
> unmodified?  Then we can show the DMD license itself as part of the
> install process.

I strongly suspect that Walter would be just fine with that. Particularly
if it's limited to an ad-hoc bases (e.g. download it and e-mail it around
the office)

> *sigh*  I've already started trying to whip the language docs into
> shape for building into a CHM.  I found CyberShadow's CHM stuff
> <http://thecybershadow.net/d/docs/> which will make a good starting
> point.

sweet

> I want to remove the cruft around the content (such as the DigitalMars
> navigation) and give it a minor facelift (look at some nicer fonts,
> maybe a little bit of visual bling).

The Phobos repo on dsource contains the DDoc source for the full docs, you
should be able to patch its ddoc.conf file to generate whatever you want.
As a fridge benefit, it would make updating the results to new versions more
automatable.