std.locale

Rainer Deyke rainerd at eldwood.com
Mon Mar 2 00:05:05 PST 2009

Georg Wrede wrote:
> Let's split this into two separate issues, the console and the GUI.
>
> The GUI is aware of your preferences.
> You don't use writefln with the GUI.
> You use the GUI API for any I/O, right?

There's a third faction: graphical apps that don't use the underlying
GUI API.  Most games fall in this category.

When writing cross-platform apps (whether gui, non-gui-but-graphical, or
console), you need some layer of abstraction over the underlying
platform localization API.  This abstraction can be provided by the
programming language, or a third-party library.

> A proper internationalisation would mean that the Chinese could use the
> console, and all character mode apps in Chinese. Problem is, there
> simply aren't enough pixels on many consoles to render the Chinese
> character set.

I have Windows configured to use a Japanese text encoding for command
windows.  I can and do run Japanese console applications, but console
applications that assume CP437 or Latin-1 don't work for me.

Rainer Deyke - rainerd at eldwood.com