const?? When and why? This is ugly!

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 01:42:08 PST 2009

hasen wrote:

> Walter Bright wrote:
>> grauzone wrote:
>>> I didn't mean going back to programming with locks. Instead you could
>>> use the new ideas without extending the type system. As far as I
>>> understand, the language extensions are only needed for verification
>>> (so far).
>>
>> Without verification, it's programming by hopeful convention. If you
>> want a reliable system, you need more than hope <g>.
>
> Well .. if you think about OOP and private/public ..
>
> Dynamic languages like python and smalltalk don't enforce
> private/public, and that never was a problem. And, smalltalk is *the* OO
> language (AFAIK)
>
> (this is not really an argument against const per se, it's just an
> argument against an argument for const)

If you have a dynamic language you have a different way of programming. In D
when I make a typo, the compiler catches it. When I do the same in Ruby, I
have a unit test that spits out a method missing exception with a trace.
Suppose D doesn't catch my typo and then my application crashes at runtime
without such a trace, that will be a nightmare.