Getting started on a Mac

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Sun Mar 8 15:09:31 PDT 2009

Alexy Khrabrov wrote:
> So I got me a new shiny dmd for Mac, the Tango with D book, and went ahead to compile something.  What about Tango itself?  Checked it out of svn, saw a dsss directory.  Got dsss of of svn, tried to compile that.  The sad results are in:
>
> http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4490
>
> Now what about starting off on a better footing?  I mean, I have to chmod +x dmd?!  I need to make a statement of faith that it's executable? :)
>
> Does anyone have a straightfoward writeup on what to do from the very beginning -- in what sequence I get D, DSSS, Tango up and running?  On a Mac, too! :)

Here's what I do to install DMD:

- unzip to ~/dmd
- sudo mkdir /opt/dmd-1.040 (or whatever)
- sudo ln -s /opt/dmd-1.040 /opt/dmd
- cd /opt/dmd
- sudo cp -r ~/dmd .
- sudo ln -s osx/bin
- sudo ln -s osx/lib
- cd bin
- sudo chmod a+x dmd obj2asm etc

Add /opt/dmd/bin to your path and you're ready to go.  Now I install my
D import files to /usr/local/include/d, which requires changing dmd.conf
to something like the following:

DFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include/d -L-L/usr/local/lib -L-L%@P%/../lib

(I'm guessing a bit about having two link paths... I only use
/usr/local/lib)

Now DMD will look for import files only in /usr/local/include/d and for
lib files (hopefully) in /usr/local/lib and /opt/dmd/lib.  When you
install Tango, copy the import files to /usr/local/include/d and the
library files to /usr/local/lib and you should be all set.

There's also a manual install doc on the Tango website you can follow,
but this should cover the basics.  I run out of /usr/include/d because I
publish everything directly from SVN.