for in D versus C and C++

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Fri Mar 20 13:45:09 PDT 2009

== Quote from Walter Bright (newshound1 at digitalmars.com)'s article
> Sean Kelly wrote:
> > Sounds like HTTP/HTML.  The best I've come up with so far for parsing
> > that stuff is to have the lexer actually return tokens representing whitespace
> > in some instances.  It's totally ridiculous.
> When you see ad-hoc designs like that, it's obvious the designer has no
> experience with compilers. It's why every programmer should take a basic
> course in compiler design <g>.

I very much agree.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say that my compiler design
course was the single most valuable CS course I took while in college.  It's
amazing how many problems I encounter have something to do with parsing
or language translation.  It's also amazing how many crappy parsers there
are out there for these same tasks.  Clearly, compiler design doesn't get
as much attention as it should in undergrad CS.