for in D versus C and C++

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Fri Mar 20 15:00:08 PDT 2009

Sean Kelly wrote:
> I very much agree.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say that my compiler design
> course was the single most valuable CS course I took while in college.  It's
> amazing how many problems I encounter have something to do with parsing
> or language translation.  It's also amazing how many crappy parsers there
> are out there for these same tasks.  Clearly, compiler design doesn't get
> as much attention as it should in undergrad CS.

Reminds me of a metal shop class I heard about where for the first
assignment each student was handed a chunk of metal and a file. His job
was to file out an end wrench. The idea was to get a feel for working
metal, besides developing an appreciation for what power tools do!

It also filtered out the impatient, slap-dash and careless people who
should never be around metal milling machines.

In my high school wood shop, we were each handed a chunk of wood, a
try-square, and a plane. Our job was to use the plane to create a
perfectly square block. We weren't allowed to use any power tools until
we passed that. I still remember the shrieks of agony from some of the
students as the teacher would lay the square on it, point to a crack of
light seeping under it, and pronounce "not square yet!"

Good times.