Please integrate build framework into the compiler

Unknown W. Brackets unknown at simplemachines.org
Sun Mar 22 15:49:25 PDT 2009

Actually, dmd is so fast I never bother with these "build" utilities.  I
just send it all the files and have it rebuild everytime, deleting all
the o files afterward.

This is very fast, even for larger projects.  It appears (to me) the
static cost of calling dmd is much greater than the dynamic cost of
compiling a file.  These toolkits always compile a, then b, then c,
which takes like 2.5 times as long as compiling a, b, and c at once.

That said, if dmd were made to link into other programs, these toolkits
could hook into it, and have the fixed cost only once (theoretically) -
but still dynamically decide which files to compile.  This seems ideal.

-[Unknown]