Eric S. Raymond on GPL and BSD licenses. & Microsoft coming to Linux

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Mar 27 10:41:34 PDT 2009

"Georg Wrede" <georg.wrede at iki.fi> wrote in message
news:gqiq8o$2b5m$1 at digitalmars.com...

> Seems BSD should be Our Way:
>
> [...] has a downside, the downside is that people, especially lawyers,
> especially corporate bosses look at the GPL and experience fear. Fear that
> all of their corporate secrets, business knowledge, and special sauce will
> suddenly be everted to the outside world by some inadvertent slip by some
> internal code. I think that fear is now costing us more than the
> threat[...]
>
> http://osnews.com/story/21192/ESR_GPL_No_Longer_Needed

Shoot, *I* look at the GPL and experience fear. Not fear of loosing secrets
(I'm not usually real big on the idea of secret knowledge), but fear of that
giant inscrutable wall of legalese (compare that to the BSD/MIT or zlib
licenses) and fear of not being able to make a living writing code just
because something might get "tainted" by the GPL. (The whole idea of "free
as in freedom software" not also implying "free as in beer" (Side note:
since when is beer free?) is complete bullocks.) (And yes, I just used the
word "bullocks". I'm in a weird mood...)