Eric S. Raymond on GPL and BSD licenses. & Microsoft coming to Linux

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 27 11:01:36 PDT 2009

== Quote from Nick Sabalausky (a at a.a)'s article
(Side note:
> since when is beer free?) is complete bullocks.)

I've explained this to people several times before because others have been confused by it, too.  Free as in
beer means free as in "Dude, I'm going to the frat party to get smashed because there's free beer."  Yes,
there is a cost associated with brewing that beer.  Yes, the frat house had to pay for the keg.  However,
_you_ don't have to pay for it.  To you, the fact that the beer cost _someone else_ money is an
implementation detail.  All you know/care about is that the interface to the beer keg does not require
money, and thus you can get smashed for free.